After continuing to watch the COVID-19 situation closely, the Portage County Public Library will close the Library doors to the public at all branches beginning Tuesday morning, March 17th. The reopening date is undetermined. If you currently have Library materials in your possession, please keep them until we reopen. Due dates will be extended until May 1st. During this time, digital materials will be available at https://www.pocolibrary.org/digital-books-movies-and-music and new or expanded services will be listed on this page. For questions, you can currently contact us Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 10am to 1pm at 715-346-1548 or email us at any time.
New and Expanded Library Resources:
- Tumble Books - ebooks and audiobooks for kids and teens
- RomanceBookCloud - a collection of romance novels for adults
- hoopla - We have increased our monthly checkout limit from 5 to 10
- Ancestry Library Edition - now available from home until the end April
- NewspaperArchive - 300 million page newspaper collection temporarily available through BadgerLink until May 15th. Includes a large selection of Stevens Point newspapers from 1853-1977.
- Don't have a library card? Get one from home by filling out our online form.
- All tax appointments scheduled at the library have been cancelled and the AARP Foundation Tax-Aide has suspended their service until further notice. Please call the United Way at 211 or 715-848-2255 for the most up-to-date information and to see if you qualify for other tax assistance.
- The tax filing deadline has been extended to July 15th.
The Wisconsin Elections Commission strongly recommends that anyone planning to vote should request to have an absentee ballot mailed to them as soon as possible.
- You must be registered to vote to request an absentee ballot.
- The deadline to register by mail to vote has passed.
- The deadline to register online to vote has been extended by federal court order until March 30. The WEC is working to reinstate online registration in the next few days.
- Voters who need to register may also do so in person at their municipal clerk's office until the Friday before the election and on Election Day at the polling place.
- Voters should request an absentee ballot as soon as possible for April 7. The deadline is April 2.
- Request your absentee ballot online at https://myvote.wi.gov
More information on COVID-19:
- Portage County - Daily press releases, Division of Public Health Situation Reports and general information.
- Wisconsin Department of Health - information on outbreaks in Wisconsin
- CDC Website - includes symptoms, preparation recommendations and situation reports
- Department of Workforce Development - Information on unemployment during the pandemic
- SBA (U.S. Small Business Administration -Low-interest disaster loans for small businesses impacted by COVID-19
- United Way/211 - Assitance finding food, paying housing bills, accessing childcare or other essential services