Through the Wisconsin Author Project, made possible in part by the Institute of Museum and Library Services, libraries are helping local authors get the recognition they deserve for writing great books. Wisconsin residents who are authors of self-published adult or young adult fiction are invited to submit their work.
The winner of the contest will receive:
- $1,000 cash prize donated by BiblioBoard
- Honors at the Public Library Association Conference 2020 reception in Nashville
- Opportunities to promote your book at Wisconsin public libraries
- Inclusion in a full-page print spread in Library Journal
- Invitation to speak at the Wisconsin Library Association Annual Conference in October (Winner + Runner Up)
Each book that is submitted to the contest must be:
- In an adult fiction or young adult fiction genre
- Written by a Wisconsin resident
- Available in either ePUB or PDF file
Submissions are due by May 31st. The submitted books will be reviewed by staff at Library Journal and by members of the Wisconsin library community. The winner will be announced this fall at the Annual Conference of the Wisconsin Library Association. Contest terms can be found here.
To submit your work visit the Wisconsin Author Project website.
Other free resources available for Wisconsin Authors:
Pressbooks: an easy-to-use online software that allows you to create professional-quality print-ready and eBook files. With the Pressbooks tool, you can create and design your own books, newsletters, poetry, novels and more in digital and print ready formats.
Library Journal’s SELF-e program allows submitted books to be shared with patrons of participating libraries across Wisconsin. If a book is selected by Library Journal, it will also be available alongside other great indie reads in participating libraries across the U.S. and Canada.
BiblioBoard Library has digital books with no holds!
- BiblioBoard Access contains international resources and rare materials from smaller organizations that openly share their digital artifacts around the world.
- BiblioBoard Core is a historical database covering a wide range of topics—including Literature, Philosophy, History, Geography and Science in subject anthologies and over 14,000 full-text eBooks and over 24,000 pieces of primary source content.
- Indie Wisconsin is a showcase of Wisconsin independent and small press fiction and non-fiction authors.
- The Library Journal Selects Collections aggregate top-notch selected submissions from SELF-e from around the country in five collections:
- Popup Picks is a collection of the best ebooks and other digital media from around the world including hand-curated, award-winning titles of all kinds from leading expert librarian curators. Every four months, there is a brand new collection of Popup Picks.
The Wisconsin Author Project is a partnership of Library Journal, Biblioboard and the Wisconsin Public Library Consortium
Pressbooks, the Wisconsin Author Project, SELF-e, and BiblioBoard Library are all made possible in part by the Institute of Museum and Library Services.