The Portage County Public Library is happy to offer a special early literacy program called 1000 Books Before Kindergarten! 1000 BB4K is a nationwide program designed for children (from birth through Kindergarten) and their parents. The goal is for each child to read (or listen to) 1000 books before they start Kindergarten in order to prepare them for school and a lifetime of literacy.
There are six essential literacy skills that every child needs for school success:
Print Motivation, Vocabulary, Print Awareness, Letter Knowledge, Narrative Skills, and Sound Awareness.
There is no better way to achieve these skills than by reading together. Although beneficial at any age, reading aloud to a baby stimulates his/her brain cells. Reading can be as simple as naming the objects in each picture of a book. Make reading fun and easy!
How 1,000 BB4K Works:
* Children from birth through Kindergarten may register at any PCPL library location.
* New participants receive a folder and their first reading log: Level 100.
* After reading 100 books, return the completed reading log to the library. Children will receive garden pieces and their next reading log as they reach each goal in increments of 100 books.
* When children reach 500 books they pick out a free book. When they complete the program with 1,000 books, they pick out another free book and have their picture added to the Graduates Wall!
* See our 1000 Books Before Kindergarten Introduction for printable information.
Sign-up at any Portage County Public Library location! We look forward to seeing you!