Online Library Databases
Downloadable Books and Magazines
- OverDrive -Wisconsin's Digital Library – Over 50,000 digital ebooks and audiobooks that can be accessed on mobile devices, computers, MP3 players and ereaders.
- eBooks on EBSCOhost -Searchable full text downloadable ebooks for use with computers and ereaders (mostly non-fiction).
Books and Literature
- NoveList*, NoveList K-8*, NoveList Plus, NoveList Plus Mobile –Find books by genre, tone, subject, location and more. The database includes book reviews, read alikes and annotations.
- TeachingBooks.net* -Multimedia resources for exploring children's and young adult books and their authors.
- Literary Reference Center* -Information about authors and their works.
- WorldCat -Find books and other library materials from around the world not available in LinkCat. Items can be requested through Interlibrary Loan.
Genealogy and History
- Ancestry Library Edition -Contains over 11 billion records for genealogy research including census, passenger lists, family trees, city directories and more. Only available for use within the library.
- HeritageQuest* -Genealogy records including census, cemeteries, city directories, family history books, military records and immigration records
- Newspapers.com Library Edition World Collection* -Historical newspapers archive from the 1700s-2000s containing thousands of well-known regional, state, and small local newspapers in the United States and other countries. Includes The Gazette (1894-1896, 1907-1922), Stevens Point Journal [Weekly] (1885-1888), and The Wisconsin Lumberman (1863-1866).
- Archive of Wisconsin Newspapers* -Daily and weekly Wisconsin newspapers from 2005 to 60 days ago, including the Portage County Gazette and the Central Wisconsin Sunday.
- Local Genealogy and History -Digitized material and indexes relating to Portage County history and genealogy.
- U.S. Newsstream*-Current and archival to 1980s U.S. news featuring key national and regional sources including The New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, Los Angeles Times, Boston Globe, Newsday, and Chicago Tribune as well as over 80 Gannett titles including the Stevens Point Journal from 2003 to present.
Students and Teachers
- EBSCOhost* -A database on general, business, health, and other topics comprised of magazine, academic journals, trade publications and more.
- Encyclopedia Britannica* and Britannica Escolar (Espanol)* -Encyclopedias, dictionary, thesaurus, and related learning materials for students and teachers (K-12).
- LearningExpress Library* -Practice exams for standardized tests and career certifications, self-guided courses for computer skills, citizenship and more.
- Newspaper Source Plus* -Full-text newspapers and articles, plus television and radio news transcripts, videos & podcasts.
- Wisconsin Media Lab* -Video programs for Wisconsin's K-12 students and teachers, available via streaming or download.
- Soundzabound* -Music and sound effects that are copyright compliant, content safe and royalty free for K-12 school use.
- Transparent Languages Online -offers the most comprehensive language-learning solution for libraries. With this flexible program, you can quickly and easily learn new languages using our wide variety of courses and activities.
- AtoZdatabases -Search millions of business and resident listings in the United States for sales leads, mailing lists, market research, employment opportunities, finding friends and relatives, and more.
- Business Source Premier* -Business journals and reports on marketing, management, accounting, banking, finance and more.
- AutoMate* -Detailed vehicle maintenance and repair information.
Health and Wellness
Consumer Health Complete* -Information on diseases, treatments (including drugs and herbs), alternative medicine, fitness, nutrition and wellness.
- GreenFILE* -Scholarly, government and general-interest titles on the human impact on the environment.
- LISTA* -Database providing cover-to-cover indexing, abstracting and full-text for key library and information science periodicals.
- Consumer Reports -Reviews and consumer information for a variety of products.
* Access to this resource is provided as part of the BadgerLink project.