Ancestry Library Edition - Contains over 11 billion records for genealogy research including census, passenger lists, family trees, city directories, and more. Until further notice, Ancestry will be available AT HOME for library cardholders.
Archive of Wisconsin Newspapers* - Daily and weekly Wisconsin newspapers from 2005 to 60 days ago, including the Portage County Gazette, and the Central Wisconsin Sunday. Also includes a small amount of historical newspapers from around Wisconsin.
Chronicling America - Digital historical American newspapers from 1789-1963 and the U.S. Newspaper Directory which contains information on American newspapers published from 1690 to the present.
HeritageQuest* - Genealogy records including census, cemeteries, city directories, family history books, military records, and immigration records.
NewspaperArchive - 300 million page newspaper collection temporarily available through BadgerLink until June 15th. Includes a large selection of Stevens Point newspapers from 1853-1977.
Newspapers.com Library Edition World Collection* - Historical newspapers archive from the 1700s-2000s containing thousands of well-known regional, state, and small local newspapers in the United States, and other countries. Includes The Gazette (1894-1896, 1907-1922), Stevens Point Journal [Weekly] (1885-1888), and The Wisconsin Lumberman (1863-1866).
Recollection Wisconsin - Historical photos, maps, books, artifacts, and oral histories from Wisconsin libraries, archives, museums and historical societies.
Wisconsin Historical Society Family History Records - Family history research records from the Wisconsin Historical Society records available on Ancestry
- UWSP Archives Central WI Genealogy Index - Includes citations for Portage County obituaries, naturalizations and federal censuses (1850-1880 and 1900); and Waupaca naturalizations
- Stevens Point Pamphlet File Index - More than 1000 files containing newspapers clippings and other ephemera relating to the history of Stevens Point's businesses, people, organizations, buildings and events.
- Portage County Pamphlet File Index - More than 1000 files containing newspapers clippings and other ephemera relating to the history of Portage County's businesses, people, organizations, buildings and events.
- Portage County Cemetery Locator
- Obituaries from early Portage County newspapers [The Wisconsin Pinery (1853-1890) and the Plover Times (1866 - 1881)] - From rootsweb and the Stevens Point Area Genealogical Society
- Index to the Stevens Point Journal
Digital Photos, Books and Records
- Portage County Historical Society Photo Collection
- Our county, our story; Portage County, Wisconsin (pdf, 9mb);
- History and memories: Portage County, Belmont Township (volume 1, pdf 3mb; volume 2, pdf 6mb);
- 1895 Plat Book of Portage County, Wisconsin;
- 1915 Standard Atlas of Portage County, Wisconsin;
- Hand-Book of Stevens Point and the Upper Wisconsin (pdf, 2.38mb);
- Portage County Directory 1892-1893 - (Courtesy of the UW-Stevens Point Archives) (pdf 12mb)
- Portage County Board Minutes - available from 1910 to present
- Portage County Historical Society - includes the Malcolm Rosholt Online Archives
- UWSP Library's Area Research Center - Contains public records, corporate records, personal papers and genealogical sources pertaining to Portage County and eight other counties in central and north central Wisconsin.
- Stevens Point Area Genealogical Society - Resources to assist you in researching your Portage County roots. Includes indexes, digital material, transcribed records, and other helpful information.
* Access to this resource is provided as part of the BadgerLink project.