Ancestry Library Edition - Contains over 11 billion records for genealogy research including census, passenger lists, family trees, city directories and more. Only available for use within the library.
Archive of Wisconsin Newspapers* - Daily and weekly Wisconsin newspapers from 2005 to 60 days ago, including the Portage County Gazette and the Central Wisconsin Sunday. Also includes a small amount of historical newspapers from around Wisconsin.
Chronicling America - Digital historical American newspapers from 1789-1963 and the U.S. Newspaper Directory which contains information on American newspapers published from 1690 to the present.
HeritageQuest* - Genealogy records including census, cemeteries, city directories, family history books, military records and immigration records
Newspapers.com Library Edition World Collection* - Historical newspapers archive from the 1700s-2000s containing thousands of well-known regional, state, and small local newspapers in the United States and other countries. Includes The Gazette (1894-1896, 1907-1922), Stevens Point Journal [Weekly] (1885-1888), and The Wisconsin Lumberman (1863-1866).
Recollection Wisconsin - Historical photos, maps, books, artifacts, and oral histories from Wisconsin libraries, archives, museums and historical societies.
Wisconsin Historical Society Family History Records - Family history research records from the Wisconsin Historical Society records available on Ancestry
- UWSP Archives Central WI Genealogy Index - Includes citations for Portage County obituaries, naturalizations and federal censuses (1850-1880 and 1900); and Waupaca naturalizations
- Stevens Point Pamphlet File Index - More than 1000 files containing newspapers clippings and other ephemera relating to the history of Stevens Point's businesses, people, organizations, buildings and events.
- Portage County Pamphlet File Index - More than 1000 files containing newspapers clippings and other ephemera relating to the history of Portage County's businesses, people, organizations, buildings and events.
- Portage County Cemetery Locator
- Obituaries from early Portage County newspapers [The Wisconsin Pinery (1853-1890) and the Plover Times (1866 - 1881)] - From rootsweb and the Stevens Point Area Genealogical Society
- Index to the Stevens Point Journal
Digital Photos, Books and Records
- Portage County Historical Society Photo Collection
- Our county, our story; Portage County, Wisconsin (pdf, 9mb);
- History and memories: Portage County, Belmont Township (volume 1, pdf 3mb; volume 2, pdf 6mb);
- 1895 Plat Book of Portage County, Wisconsin;
- 1915 Standard Atlas of Portage County, Wisconsin;
- Hand-Book of Stevens Point and the Upper Wisconsin (pdf, 2.38mb);
- Portage County Directory 1892-1893 - (Courtesy of the UW-Stevens Point Archives) (pdf 12mb)
- Portage County Board Minutes - available from 1910 to present
- Portage County Historical Society - includes the Malcolm Rosholt Online Archives
- UWSP Library's Area Research Center - Contains public records, corporate records, personal papers and genealogical sources pertaining to Portage County and eight other counties in central and north central Wisconsin.
- Stevens Point Area Genealogical Society - Resources to assist you in researching your Portage County roots. Includes indexes, digital material, transcribed records, and other helpful information.
* Access to this resource is provided as part of the BadgerLink project.